Your relative may be able to come to Canada as a permanent resident. If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your relative (parents, real brother & sisters) under the Family Class program.

Important: You must declare all family members on your application, even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. If you do not do this, your family members will not be eligible to apply to join you after you have started your course in Australia.

Generally, you can apply for dependent visa:

  • If you are partner / member of family unit of a holder of some type of temporary visa in Australia (for example, student visa),
  • If your partner is an Australian resident (permanent residency).

Eligible to apply for this visa to join a holder of student visa is:

  • A spouse (including de facto spouse) of the student visa holder, or
  • A dependent child (unmarried and younger than 18 years) of the student visa holder.

If you are not married with your partner, but you would like to apply for spouse dependent visa, you have to submit evidence that you have lived together for a period of at least 12 months prior to lodging visa application.

Married couples can apply after submission of marriage certificate.

If are granted visa as a partner (spouse) of a student visa holder, you are allowed:

  • To study in Australia up to 3 months,
  • To work during your stay in Australia (up to 20 hours/week).

If you get a dependent visa, you will get a limited permission to work (20 hours/week), and you do not need to pay for any course / school in Australia. Your partner, a student visa holder, will be allowed to work as well, see conditions of student visa.

You can be nominated by your partner in his/her application for student visa, or he/she can nominate you while already studying in Australia, see more here.

You may be able to get a green card as an immediate relative or as a family member in a preference category if your U.S. citizen relative files a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for you.

Promote family unity, immigration law allows U.S. citizens to petition for certain qualified relatives to come and live permanently in the United States. Eligible immediate relatives include the U.S. citizen’s:

Unmarried child under the age of 21
Parent (if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21)

Immediate relatives have special immigration priority and do not have to wait in line for a visa number to become available for them to immigrate because there are an unlimited number of visas for their particular categories.

Many people already settled in New Zealand wish their close family to join them, and family members, often alone, wish to come to New Zealand to be close to relatives. We have a range of family policies facilitating partners, dependent children, parents, siblings or adult children of New Zealand citizens or residents to come to live in New Zealand.

If you are a New Zealand citizen or resident you may be able to support your partner’s application or sponsor your dependent child, parent, adult child, brother or sister.

This section explains how people from overseas can come to or remain in the United Kingdom as the partners, children and/or elderly dependent relatives of people who are already in the United Kingdom or are coming here in a different category.

What you can do if you have come to the United Kingdom as a partner.


Coming to or staying in the United Kingdom as the husband, wife, civil partner, fiancé (e), proposed civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a person settled here or a migrant worker/student – plus your responsibility to tell us if the relationship ends.


Bringing your children, including adopted children, to the United Kingdom if you are a British citizen or you have temporary or permanent permission to live here.

Elderly dependent

Coming to or staying in the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other elderly dependent of a person settled here.

Marriage and civil partnership

Getting married or registering a civil partnership in the United Kingdom, whether you are coming for a short visit or planning to stay here.

Forced marriage

Support and advice for people who have been or are at risk of being forced into marriage.